Our Implant Solutions
Dental implants are a natural-looking permanent solution for your missing teeth. In addition to restoring your smile, dental implants are the only restoration that helps preserve your oral health.
Whether you’re looking to replace one tooth, multiple teeth, or a whole arch, Dr. Shlafer and our experienced dental team can provide the treatment you’re looking for. Read on to discover more about this exciting treatment option.
What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a prosthetic replacement tooth that’s secured using a small titanium post called a fixture that’s surgically placed in your jawbone. The implant fixture serves as a root for your new replacement tooth. Once Dr. Shlafer completes your implant with a stunning porcelain crown, it’ll look just like one of your natural teeth.
Dental implants are strong, attractive, and long-lasting. They also help protect your smile against tooth decay and gum disease.
What is the Dental Implant Process?
The dental implant process can be broken down into five simple steps:
- Your Free Consultation — The first step is scheduling a consultation with Dr. Shlafer so he can examine your oral health and determine the best treatment plan for you.
- Supplemental Procedures — If Dr. Shlafer identifies any potential issues during your consultation, you may be required to undergo supplemental treatments to prepare your smile for the implant process.
- Placement — Dr. Shlafer surgically attaches the titanium implant fixture to your jaw and uses a temporary restoration to protect the surgical area.
- Recovery — It usually takes 3 to 6 months for your implant to fuse with your jawbone. This process is called osseointegration and it’s the primary reason for your implant’s remarkable strength and longevity.
- Restoration — Once your jawbone is fully integrated with the implant fixture, you’ll return to our office so Dr. Shlafer can attach the abutment (a small connecting piece) and top the implant with your natural-looking crown. Now you’ll be ready to show off your new smile to everyone around you.
Am I a Candidate for Dental Implants?
While dental implants are typically the best option for restoring missing teeth, not everyone is an immediate candidate. Some patients have conditions such as insufficient jawbone mass or gum disease that require treatment before we begin the implant process.
Fortunately, supplemental procedures such as bone grafting to strengthen the jawbone or periodontal treatment for gum disease can prepare you for implant placement.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do dental implants last?
After your treatment is complete, the success of your dental implant mostly depends on you. With proper care and oral hygiene, your implant can last up to a lifetime.
How do you take care of your dental implants after the procedure?
Dental implants can be cleaned just like natural teeth, with daily brushing and flossing. Unlike dentures, you won’t need to rely on extra cleaning solutions or messy adhesives. Dr. Shlafer recommends using a soft-bristled brush and nylon floss to avoid scratching your implant. It’s also best to avoid brands of toothpaste that contain abrasive ingredients, such as those made for teeth whitening and smokers.
Are dental implants safe?
Yes! In fact, dental implants are the safest tooth replacement option for your long-term health, as they’re the only restoration that prevents jawbone deterioration. As long as your surgery is performed by an experienced and qualified dentist like Dr. Shlafer, dental implants are a totally safe procedure.